of vacuum technology
The strength of the connection between the electrode and the current collector
Separator heat-resistance level
Any electric storage device has metallic current taps. They are actually aluminum and copper foils. The thickness of the current collector foil is determined by the maximum current of the electrical storage device. The main drawback of the metallic foil used in an electrical storage device is the oxide film on its surface.
This oxide film protects the metal from corrosion, but also creates insurmountable obstacles for electrical storage because:
So far no battery or supercapacitor manufacturer has been able to produce a current collector without the drawbacks mentioned above.
We propose to replace existing technologies for current collector manufacture with high-vacuum deposition technology.
Only in a vacuum can current collectors be manufactured without an oxide layer. This is done by replacing it with a chemically resistant and durable carbon coating with low contact resistance.
Current collector production
Degradation of the active electrode
High speed coating deposition. Nanomaterials synthesis possible at relatively low temperatures of 200-300 C°.
Possibility of spraying carbon nanotubes with materials providing chemical storage of electrical energy.
Testing the chemical resistance of current collectors with our protective carbon coating produced by magnetron deposition
Testing the adhesion properties of our current collector
VACUUM CARBON TECHNOLOGIES energy storage technology First of all, the researchers are looking for an opportunity to increase the specific energy accumulated in one kilogram (liter) of the battery. At present, lithium-ion batteries with specific energy from 110 W ∙ h...
VACUUM CARBON TECHNOLOGIES House is not built from Roof. Foundation, Walls, and then - Roof. If you make Battery, then you need to start from current supply Electrodes, that is, from Current Collector, which should provide: • Low contact resistance of the metal-active...
VACUUM CARBON TECHNOLOGIES Corrosion of Al foil The foil was dried in a vacuum oven at 120°C for 6 h and then transferred to a glove box. Coin cells of Li/electrolyte/Al in which electrolyte and separator were sandwiched between two electrodes were assembled. The...
Visited the exhibition The Battery Show Europe 2018 The Battery Show Europe provides an opportunity to source the latest manufacturing solutions from across the battery supply chain for industries. Donec tempor tortor sit amet sodales blandit. Suspendisse potenti....
The production rate depends on the width of the foil to be sprayed. For example, for a foil width of 1,000 mm, a deposition rate of 1 m per minute and 6,000 work hours. In this case the annual productivity (three shifts, 6,000 hours) will be: 6,000 x 60 = 360,000...
What is the difference between the useful life and reliability of the battery? How is reliability expressed?
Reliability is the capacity of an object to conserve over time and within established limits the values of all parameters characterizing its ability to perform the functions required of it in set modes and conditions of use, maintenance, storage and transportation....
Electric car battery
Foil price $
Carbon coating cost $
Market share of lithium-ion batteries manufacturers
- The total investment by Samsung SDI in battery development businesses reaches $7.8 billion.
- Tesla Motors and Panasonic invested $5 billion in the GigaFactory project.
- BYD (China, Brazil, USA) invested between $2 billion and $4 billion.
- Other players in the market had investments of up to $500 million.
- Tesla Motors & Panasonic alliance 39%
- BYD (China, Brazil, United States) 20%
- Boston Power (China) 9%
- Samsung SDI 6%
- Other players 26%
Annual average market growth for electrical storage devices
Total market for energy storage devices bn $
The protective carbon coating
The active carbon layer
- The final result of the project is the production of industrial mass-production equipment, allowing the low-cost application of different carbon coatings (i.e. current collectors, active electrodes) onto roll materials (copper, aluminum foil, etc.).
The project duration is about 19 months:
- In the first 7 months experimental but already working industrial equipment will be produced.
- A further 12 months will be required for testing current collector samples with potential customers and to create a new, updated version of the equipment that is completely ready for commercial mass-production.
- Further, it will be possible to produce industrial equipment in any quantities (2, 10, 100 pieces per year). It all depends on the investor’s desire and the availability of funds.
- Using the first industrial plant the following deposition technologies can be further perfected:
- Dense carbon coating that protects the metal from chemical corrosion (the current collector or metal electrode).
- Porous coating (active electrode).
- The current collector with its dense carbon coating is thus the first step to implement in the overall business plan for the following reasons:
- This is the first coating, onto which the porous coating (the active electrode) will further be applied. And only after that will the separator be deposited onto the porous coating.
- The second step will be the deposition of the active high-porous electrode onto the current collector.
- The third step is the deposition of the separator.